This is outside my building.
I hope everyone doesn't wear themselves out, tonight is halloween!
15 hours ago
Windows were smashed at a bank and luggage store in the downtown shopping district. At least two cars were overturned, the windows of a TV van were smashed, dozens of huge streetside planters were flipped over and some bus shelters were damaged or destroyed.(USA Today)
1. Everyone is giants. I wasn’t sure if I was being sensy about it or what, but everywhere we went, we were “the short people”. I just read about it and found out that the average Dutch adult (not man but adult, which includes girls and the occasional little person) is 6’1”. So many of them were taller than that. Coupled with their lack of concern for personal space, this was truly a small (get it?) culture shock.
2. Bicycles. You know outside of Via, where there’s about 100 bikes in 40 feet and they’re packed in so close that you can’t imagine trying to get one out? Every block of every street is like that. And they have these bicycle/scooter lanes that aren’t just a little part of a real street that’s marked off, like here, but is it’s own little road. Everyone rode bikes.
3. Prostitutes. I mean, the red light district: you kind of know about it, until you’re there, and there’s these girls in their underpants dancing in their windows, and it’s weird. Then you go to a bar and the guy in the next booth is getting a handjob from a weird old girl.
What happens when blind people fight? What if they have guns? Blind sex? Racism? Finding bathrooms? What would you trade for food?
Will J Moore always be able to see, or will she get milky eyed too? Can anybody else see? Will sight come back to anybody? Will blind-love prevail over weird age differences involving Danny Glover?
A giant (2000 mile) UFO is going to park over Alabama tomorrow. The aliens are called "the Federation of Light". They're nice, and are going to help us evolve. 3 people told us this'll happen, one of them "Blossom Goodchild" (she doesn't have a myspace, I checked).
"There were five ufos spotted and photographed over philly during the obama rally. earlier that week he gave an interview where he said "i'm interested in making life better on earth, but maybe we have some others on the way as well." these two events, one that actually happened and one that appears to have happened, i admit are connected because i am connecting them. but that's how connections work. i'm also paranoid. but i will point out that the only evidence we have that either event happened (the ufos and the obama quote) are the same: video footage. time, etc. can't go back and make it be yesterday."
1. read your blog
2. update my blog (even on weekends!) before I forget all the really important things to tell you, Dear Readers
3. check movie times without having to go all the way down the block to the gym I no longer belong to, just to get a CityPaper, in which the times may or may not be accurate
4. check Craigslist missed connections (kind of a joke...)
5. check deadlines on various craft/baking/exchange projects I get myself into
6. download top 40 (pirating is mainstream, I read it someplace)
"No one meant to offend you! We like you!" (girls with partial shirts outside Standard Tap)and
"Don't get in that car! Don't do it. Don't!" (boy to crying girl on Fairmount)to boys asking me for (or thumbing) rides on my bicycle was exactly equal. Three for three.
a. long (2hr, 40m)
b. controversial (in trying to remind us to appreciate Buffalo soldiers, Spike got a lot of people pretty upset about his portrayal of Italian Partisans)
c. brimming with Stock Characters (dumb but lovable giant black man, tiny helpless/speechless boy, fascist old Italian, slippery traitor, hot girl who has no problem taking her clothes off while doing the laundry on the hillside, etc)
d. full of important morality lessons:
Killing bad people (even 40 years later)? Okay.
Killing many many people, at a church? Not okay.