Friday, December 18, 2009

brr

I really am tired of being cold. It's too cold to bike. It's too cold to scoot. It's too cold to walk from where someone parked their car. Waiting for Septa is like turning into Han Solo.

I used to like it, in a weird pride/snow/Rust-belt kind of way. Like, "Oh, cold? I barely even know what cold is. You think this is cold? This is nothin'."

This year, I'm over that, and I'm just feeling cold. Let's get in a car and drive someplace warm for a week or something. Anyone?

Seriously though, the recent cold raises some questions, like how did people (settlers?) ever think settling here (here = the NorthEast) was a good idea? Why on earth would you choose to brave cold winters when you could just pick ANY PLACE?
And the homeless! It just seems like there's much nicer places to be homeless - places where you don't run the risk of hypothermia.
But I guess the question is just as valid for me/us - we're here too. Do the cultural peculiarities of the region outweigh this bitter cold? At some point, they must have, but on days like this, I don't think so.

All that being said, I don't like being Too Hot either.

-Goldilocks

9 comments:

zerbipedia said...

sue, I think you need to grow out your hair. You'd be surprised at how much warmer I am when my hair covers my ears. Maybe it's a challenge for next winter!

pinchefresco said...

And I'd like to suggest layering. Works like a charm.

MITZUED

elizabethfrances said...

I love being too hot.

Bangs said...

HZ: It's not usually my ears that are cold.

It is either my legs, because I'm wearing a too-short skirt and tights, or my VERY CORE.

ANDY: Layering makes people look puffy.

BETA: Honestly, I'm starting to lean that direction. Let's move to ... someplace hot.

pinchefresco said...

You can use thin layers. Still works.

elizabethfrances said...

Even though Sarah doesn't like being hot I think we could persuade her. Plus Fred doesn't like being hot but I think I could persuade him as well. Maybe.

sarah said...

i will only go if there is a pool.
but right now we are getting 17 inches of snow and i'm not sure i can live without days like today.

elizabethfrances said...

Obviously, only with a pool.

Kamper said...

I never want to move somewhere without snow.