Monday, February 21, 2011

a chair

Here, a long post about how re-upholstery is good, but ultimately not so rewarding.

Back in high school, I bought this chair at a church rummage sale.  Brought it home, found out my grandmother had donated it.  So:  it's been around for a while, and  has had many incarnations.  Yesterday though, I rescued it from our basement furniture graveyard (that's a whole different story), and decided to reupholster it.  Again.

This is what it looked like.  It had seen one too many wild nights and dirty cats at Oxford.  And at Beulah.

It was pretty gross.

So: I stripped it down. Was a little angry at myself for my thoroughness the first time - it was really hard to retrace my steps. Lots of tool re-appropriation.
Re-covered it (using one of my favorite tools, this old Stanley electric staple/nail gun.  I've gone through so many crappy staple guns - got a good one and haven't looked back.  If you're ever considering upgrading, go electric.  It's so good/easy/worth it.), and some woodland origami fabric.
This is what it looks like. It's not my cleanest best work, but is way way better than before.  I have plans to scotch guard it, but in the meantime, I put a blanket from the thrift store on it (to keep the cats at bay). 
Turns out?  I like the blanket on it way better than anything.  If I would have known this, I could have saved a couple hours, and like a thousand staples.



Synopsis?  Upholstery is only sometimes worth it.  Blanket trials first.

2 comments:

lana bear said...

i have 2 chairs in similar condition i bought at circle and have toted around with me, that are so ugly, and need re-upholstery. It's been blanket chair city. I can't bring myself to pay someone to do it, yet it's been almost 2 years and I haven't either. Maybe I'll give it a try..

elizabethfrances said...

I like your upholstery work way better than the blanket. Just so you know.
I like that fabric and think it looks clean and simple.
Keep it covered for a while. Maybe one day you will take it off and like it?